I have written a paper about IDN Address Spoofing Attacks and how Quero deals with the emerging security threat.
IE tips updated
I have added more useful tips and links to the IE tips section. Please keep your own questions and feedback coming (email support@q...).
Due to a patent dispute between Microsoft and Eolas Technologies who claims having "invented" the idea of embedding external program objects into hypermedia documents, now users have to activate Flash animations, video clips or Java applets with an unnecessary extra click. The ActiveX update causing this change was included in the last cumulative security update MS06-013 which was released on April 11. Fortunately, Web publishers can update their Web sites to avoid the activation. Basically, the objects need to be created in an external Java script to workaround the activation. More information about possible workarounds is provided in the MSDN article Activating ActiveX Controls.
Announcing Quero Toolbar 3 for IE7
Quero Toolbar 3 is currently under development and optimized for IE7, the next generation of Internet Explorer with tabbed browsing, better CSS support, improved page zooming and many security enhancements. Check out this first screenshot of Quero Toolbar 3 in IE7. Today I have released a revised version of Quero Launcher which is now compatible with IE7.
Quero has passed the 10,000 downloads milestone in January 2006. Thank you to everyone for the invaluable feedback and supporting the project.
Have you always wanted to be able to start your Web browser or your favorite program at a fixed position and with a fixed size on your screen? Yes, then I have developed a new utility for you that you will probably love – Quero Launcher.
- Slightly improved pop-up blocker
- Fixed: certain mailto links were misclassified as illegal URLs
Happy Birthday, Quero
Quero celebrates its first birthday: one year ago today, version 1.00 was launched.
- Shows the favicons optionally in the taskbar
- Fixed: navigation to file URLs on Windows 2000 and below was blocked
New Version 2.2.0
- Support for shortcut icons (favicons)
As a side effect Quero helps IE to not "forget" frequently viewed favicons any more.
- RFC-compliant implementation of Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) standards
- Improved IDN highlighting
Quero now displays the names of the scripts occuring in the host name.
- New security enhancments (lock icon in search box, core domain highlighting, missing glyphs and illegal URL detection, digit indicator if host name contains digits)
- Search selected country option
Enables you to serach only for Web sites in your country by default.
- New search profile for France
- Replaced TV Movie search with DVD Palace search in German search profiles
- More user-configurable options
- Fixed: rarely crash when closing IE, access to gmail when Flash filter was on, difficulties entering a slash character on some Web sites