Quero AdBlock IE TPL released

General discussion about Quero, Internet Explorer and the Web. Post bug reports, feature requests, questions and feedback here.

Moderator: Viktor Krammer

Quero AdBlock IE TPL released

Postby Viktor Krammer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:09 pm

http://www.quero.at/adblock_ie_tpl.php

Here is the new ad blocking Tracking Protection List for IE9. To get an effictive ad filter in IE9 I recommend using it together with Quero Toolbar 6 Flash Hider (see Quero Toolbar).

This release is a major change to the previous ad blocker, which was part of the Quero Toolbar, leveraging a new built-in feature of IE9 now.

The change was necessary since I wanted to say goodbye to the old hacks (which did not conform to the new IE add-on guidelines anyway), and starting with IE9 the IE team is now offering an improved content filter, called Tracking Protection, which allowed me to make this transistion.

One limitation of Tracking Protection is however, that it does not block 1st-party content, i.e. content coming from the same domain as the Web site. To mitigate this limitation, I have now also improved the Quero Flash hider. It now selectively hides Flash animations, allowing embedded video players by default. This element hiding technique can also be improved in the future to hide other annoying content from Web pages, which is not possible by a mere URL-based filtering approach.
Viktor Krammer
Site Admin

Re: Quero AdBlock IE TPL released

Postby bobster » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:35 am

Thanks, Viktor for Quero 6.0.

Everything works as advertised. I particularly like the improved Hide Flash Ads, and allowance of video players in the ActiveX filtering functions. I would have preferred to have had the IE9 circle/slash toggle symbol visible in Quero but I can live without it.

I continue to prefer to have the IE9 nav bar de-selected and the Favorites/Command bar visible. I typically have 5-7 tabs active and can access them via passing the mouse cursor over their thumbnails above the taskbar when Aero Theme is active.

The Quero 6.0/IE9 combination is great!

Bobster
bobster

Re: Quero AdBlock IE TPL released

Postby Viktor Krammer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Good suggestion, but to add UI support for the IE9 toggle to Quero, Microsoft has to publish an API (application programming interface) for developers to access these features from add-ons. Currently, I do not see the required interfaces on msdn. I will make a suggestion on connect or the IE blog when the topic comes up next time.
Viktor Krammer
Site Admin

Return to General