Quero AdBlock IE XML released

General discussion about Quero, Internet Explorer and the Web. Post bug reports, feature requests, questions and feedback here.

Moderator: Viktor Krammer

Quero AdBlock IE XML released

Postby Viktor Krammer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:45 am

Hi,

I have now leveraged IE's InPrivate Filtering (also advertised as Tracking Protection in IE9) and build a new XML-based ad blocker for IE8 and IE9.

Quero AdBlock IE XML
http://www.quero.at/adblock_ie_xml.php

This is especially interesting for IE9 users, because Quero does not block all content as before in IE9, but works now as an element hider for Flash animations.

InPrivate Filtering has some limitations though, it is not capable of blocking 1st-party content (coming from the same domain as the Web site), so I recommend using it together with the Quero IE9 Flash blocker.

To summarize the ad blocking options, here are my suggestions:

For IE8: the Quero ad blocker is the best choice (really blocks almost everything)

For IE9: use the new Quero AdBlock IE XML InPrivate filtering option together with the Quero Flash blocker
(In Quero 5.1, turn "Hide Flash" on and "Block ads" off, for maximum filtering turn both on).

If you want to block ads without add-ons try this new approach, it's not perfect but quite good.

Follow the instructions on the download page, and make sure you update the xml definition from time to time.

I wish you happy and hassle-free browsing with Quero.

Best regards,

Viktor
Viktor Krammer
Site Admin

Re: Quero AdBlock IE XML released

Postby bobster » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:04 am

I have downloaded and am using the Quero AdBlock IE XML wityh the Quero "flash blocker" on and the "block ads" off (Quero 5.1). Also have made the changes to the registry you suggested but have set it to "automatically block". It seems to be working fine although I notice a small effect on page loading time -- maybe my imagination.

I was unable to download EasyList as it seems to be a Mozilla associated function and won't work on IE9 -- only Firefox which I don't and won't use.

Question: How do I update the AdBlock list? Looks like I can do it manually from your website -- a bit unwieldy but I can live with it. How often should I update it -- weekly, monthly? Is there an automatic way to do it?

Off topic, I hear by the grapevine that IE9 RC, due Feb 10th will have the option to put the tabs bar below the address bar. Yea!

Bobster
bobster

Postby Viktor Krammer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:46 am

I recommend using "Choose content to block" because it only blocks what is specified in the xml file, whereas "Automatically block" will silently add more and more rules over time, starting to block also useful third-party widgets such as Facebook, YouTube etc.

I have derived the Quero AdBlock IE XML list from EasyList, but optimized it for IE. If you are using only that list (with Quero's Flash blocker) it should not have a noticeable performance impact. In most cases, sites will load even faster, because of the blocked third-party content.

BTW I have just released an update of the list. In IE9 RTM the feature is called "Tracking Protection" and it will be a lot easier to install such a list, and IE9 will automatically update the list for you, once you have subscribed to Quero's Tracking Protection List.

In the meantime use the install instructions on the AdBlock IE XML page. Also do not forget to delete all rules before importing a new version of the list. I am not sure yet what the exact update interval of the list will be, but I am committed to update it when necessary.

Also looking forward to the release of IE9, which I think will come soon. Guess we will see a Release Candidate soon.
Viktor Krammer
Site Admin

Postby bobster » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:53 pm

The power and utility of the Quero/Internet Explorer 9/Windows 7 32 bit Home combination

I have been using Quero/Internet Explorer/Win XP and 7 for several years, starting with IE7 and now with IE9 beta. My current configuration is as follows,

Quero settings:

Appearance. IE navigation bar, IE8 Favorites button, Quero search box and Aero Theme all “checked”. All buttons “checked”

Ad Blocker. Hide flash

Settings. Quick Type and Quick Find “checked”. Show address “checked”

Advanced options. First five buttons “checked”

Internet Explorer 9 settings:

Favorites bar, Command Bar and Quero “checked”. Tabs activated via the “tools/internet options” entry

I have set Google as my default search engine and MyYahoo as my internet portal and have 7 other tabs that open when I open IE9. Yahoo allows me to use the Quero “quick type” function without jumping to their search function -- it takes me to the default search function. Very, very cool!

I have also found that if I deselect the Favorites bar and the Command bar in IE9, that everything that is on both of them can be invoked by clicking on the “star” and “asterisk” symbols at the end of the tabs bar. This provides a nice “Two bar” header complete with tabs -- truly a minimalist layout. Actually I have the favorites and command bars activated as I like the idea of having those functions visible and directly at hand.

The combination of Quero/IE9/W7 is sooo cool. And now if IE9 RC has the ability to put the tabs below the address bar as is rumored, I will be completely satisfied!

And BTW, I have installed AdBlock IE XML and find it to be very effective.

Thanks again Victor for your efforts.
bobster

Postby Viktor Krammer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks, bobster for sharing your configuration and feedback :)

I am developing the Quero add-on and ad blocker for almost seven years now. Its so amazing seeing the progess in that field, especially also in Internet Explorer. When I started it was even unclear, what the future of IE will be (IE development paused for three years between 2001 and 2004). Some guessed IE could even be abandoned, but history turned out to be different, Microsoft is now investing huge amounts into it. The competition is like crazy, browsers are in my opinion by far the most important piece of software on a Desktop computer (or any system) now.

I have seen screenshots of IE9 rtm with tabs on a separate row but below the adress bar. But regarding Quero, it will stay most likely with tabs on top, because of the general layout of IE's UI. I start preferring tabs on top because its the industry standard right now and more logical, but it could be possible to swap the two, by the good old Menu bar to top registry setting? Not sure, whether it still works in IE9.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]
"ITBar7Position"=dword:00000001
Viktor Krammer
Site Admin

Postby bobster » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Yes, the registry hack for moving the Tabs bar below the Nav/Address bar also works in IE9 beta. I thought I would like that position but since I prefer the combined Favorites/Command bar to be visible, the Tabs bar ends up being sandwiched between the Nav/Address bar and the Favorites/Command bar -- not a very desirable arrangement. If you know of a way to arrange the Nav/Address bar on top with the Favorites/Command bar below it and the Tabs bar below that, please let me know.

Bobster
bobster

Postby bobster » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 pm

I continue to be amazed at the things I discover that can be done with the Quero/IE9/Windows 7 configuration.

In my quest to have Tabs and Favorites both visible and arranged with the Quero search box on top, the Favorites line next and the Tabs on the bottom, I discovered a neat arrangement that is IMHO, even better than that.

In Quero Options/Appearance, check ONLY, IE8 Favorites button, Quero search box and Aero theme. Make sure that tabbed browsing is enabled in internet options. Note that there is now no tabs line visible in the header. The two visible header lines are the Quero search box (with the forward/back, refresh, stop, and home buttons visible), and the combined Favorites/Command bar, enabled via Tools, Toolbars in IE9. With Aero theme active, the tabs are available as thumbnails above the taskbar by passing the mouse cursor over the taskbar -- no clicks necessary until you wish to "lock" onto a particular page.

The above configuration lets me have my cake and eat it. I can have my 7-8 tabs immediately available without taking up a line in the header, yet they are only visible if I pass the mouse cursor over the taskbar. My two line header gives me everything that is on the Command and Favorites bars in one combined bar, and the Quero address/nav bar on the other line. For me, this is a very efficient and pleasing configuration. Others may find their own preferred configuration. The main thing is that the combination of Quero/IE9/Windows 7 allows one the variability to try many different layouts and discover their own favorite.
bobster

Postby merlin666 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:53 pm

1) Can you clarify how this is related to the quero toolbar ad blocker - is it the same or additional functionality?

2) Also, on another computer where I could not install the toolbar due to lack of admin powers, I have the InPrivateFilter enabled and added an xml reflecting filter from firefox adblock+. Are your filters more up to date?

3) What would be very useful is an option to easily ad sites to the filter list. I assume one needs some dedicated xml editor but something integrated as IE add on would be much better.
merlin666

Postby Viktor Krammer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:50 pm

@bobster

cool configuration, reminds me of the discussion that the taskbar is the tab bar, which is still true.

@merlin666

AdBlock IE XML is an addition to the new "Hide Flash" option in Quero Toolbar 5.1. "Hide Flash" is an element hider for Flash, but can be extended in the future for other kinds of annoying ads.

The difference is that AdBlock IE XML really blocks the content, while "Hide Flash" removes the content from the page after it has been downloaded, but is more flexible since it runs as an add-on inside the browser. Because of a design restriction of the "Tracking Protection" feature in IE9 (does not allow to block first-party content coming from the same server as the Web site), both options are necessary to get an effective ad filter in IE.

This is especially interesting for IE9 users, since the previous Quero ad blocker (option "Block Ads") works only partially in IE9. I recommend using the new Quero AdBlock IE XML together with the Quero Flash Hider. For maximum filtering, all three options can be turned on (Tracking Protection, Hide Flash, and Block ads).

Summary IE9 Ad Blocking options

Quero AdBlock IE XML = Content Blocker for 3rd-party content (but not 1st)
Quero Hide Flash = Element Hider for Flash ads (1st and 3rd-party)
Quero Block Ads = Content Blocker for static content (1st and 3rd-party)

Quero needs admin rights only for the installation, the add-on itself is designed to run under non-admin accounts and supports IE Protected Mode.

Difference between Firefox Adblock Plus EasyList and Quero: the list is based on EasyList but it is not the same, first because the features are different, and secondly because I have optimized it to work well in IE, keeping an eye on performance. I feel free to improve the list and add and delete my own rules as necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion. Regarding Quero AdBlock IE XML, it will be automatically updated and downlaoded in IE9 RTM, also the installation will be a lot easier. Additionally, you can make your own supplemental list and import it in IE9, or send me suggestions for improvement.
Viktor Krammer
Site Admin

Postby merlin666 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:10 pm

I have imported the xml and so far are very pleased with the blocking. Hide Flash sounds like a nice feature but I can not use it due to admin restrictions at work. My workaround for that is to work with the "Shockwave Flash Object" in Tools - under "More Information" we can remove all sites and allow only those sites where we want Flash to run. It is a crude approach but also works to keep the browser clean.
merlin666

Next

Return to General